FACTS FIRST: Maine: State of Childhood Hunger
- 1 in 4 children under 18 in Maine are food insecure.
- Schools present an opportunity to reach nearly all food insecure children.
- 46.77% of all K to 12 students are eligible for Free or Reduced Price School Meals
- 117 school districts have a population with 50% or more of the students living with hunger
- USDA programs are available to pay for all food insecure children to receive nutritious meals every day.
- It not a lack of resources: There is plenty of food to feed every hungry child.